Sunday, January 13, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies

.
I am of the belief that whether or not you put nuts into your chocolate chip cookies makes a big difference. It’s not just about having nuts in the cookie. It affects the whole cookie. My nut of preference is the walnut, but so many people think that they are allergic to walnuts that I generally use pecans. And as usual I use butter. The cookies with margarine or shortening are too mounded. I use the recipe on the back of the Nestlé’s chocolate chip package, but I don’t always use those chocolate chips.

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups unbleached flour (11 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups (12 ounces) chocolate chips (I like dark chocolate)
1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cream the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt, and soda and add to the mixture. Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips. Spoon out even balls of dough on to a cookie sheet and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on a wrack.

You can add all kinds of things to these cookies and they still come out tasting good. For example: oatmeal, dried fruit, granola, wheat germ, brandy, sesame seeds, you name it.

No comments: