Thursday, October 23, 2008

Oven French Fries

.

These were a really big hit.  I did them for my grandson's birthday.  Riley was out of town, and I was running out of energy, and getting out the deep fryer just seemed overwhelming.  But I think these turned out as good as deep fried, with much less fuss and bother.


Turn the oven up to as high as it will go.  Mine went to 530 degrees.  It needs a while to get up to temperature.

potatoes
oil - I used a light olive oil
salt and pepper

Get a large bowl or pot and fill it with cold water.  Peel the potatoes and cut them into strips about a centimeter square on the ends.  As you cut the potatoes, put the strips into the cold water.

Get a large flat pan, I used a tray that comes with my Meile oven.  Put oil on the tray, then take the potatoes out of the water in little batches, put them on a tea towel and pat the batch dry, them put them on the tray and push them around a bit to get oil all over them.  Continue this until the tray is full, or you've come to the end of the potatoes.

If you have more potatoes than will fit on your tray, then I bet a second tray can be done.  I didn't need to do that, but If you periodically switch the trays during cooking I think it will work.

Put the potatoes into the oven for about 15 minutes.  Then take the tray out of the oven and carefully turn over all of the fries.  Then put back into the oven for about 15 more minutes.  You be the judge of doneness.  Keep you eyes on the fries.

When you take them out, this is the time to salt and pepper them.  The reason for not salting the fries during cooking is to not pull the moisture out of the potatoes and make things soggy.

No comments: