Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sweet Short Cake

.
This is the basis of what is called "shortcake." My mother makes the kind with no sugar, and I think she uses Bisquik. It was by accident that I ended up with this recipe. I was having a group of people over one evening, but during the afternoon I was frantically sewing something. So I asked my girls to help me out. I told them that as I sewed I would tell them what to do. Well the shortcake that evening was a huge hit, but I quickly realized that something about the cake was different. Upon investigation it was realized that the girls had misheard me on the sugar. They added considerably more than the recipe called for, but we all decided that we liked it a lot that way, and we've done it ever since.

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, cut into many little pieces
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Butter the bottom of a 7 or 8 inch spring form pan.
Mix the dry ingredients.
Add the butter, and using your fingers work the butter into the flour.
Stir in the milk using a fork. Don’t over mix, mix just till combined.
Put into pan and gently flatten out.
Bake about 20-25 minutes. It mustn’t jiggle.

Cool the cake, split in half and on the cake plate put cake, fruit, whipped cream, cake fruit whipped cream, and lastly a bit more fruit. I add some sugar to the fruit to bring out the juices, but not too much sugar.

1 comment:

Laura said...

My mom and I made this last night and we LOVED it. The perfect compliment to our fresh strawberries. Thanks for sharing the recipe!