Saturday, May 31, 2008

Swedish Cream



This is also sometimes called Russian Cream, but I first knew and loved it as Swedish Cream. There used to be this fabulous restaurant in my neighborhood that was loved by almost everyone. It was hugely popular, and they served wonderful food. One of my favorite dishes was Swedish Cream, which I used to get to go. You put a $1 deposit on the dish. I kept most of them, which was okay. But then alas, it suddenly went out of business. It seemed that the owner had over extended himself. So I determined that I would figure out how to make the dish myself.

1 cup sugar
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 cups heavy cream or half & half
2 cups sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla or any other flavoring you'd like

Combine sugar and gelatin in a medium sized saucepan.
Stir in the cream and heat mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until gelatin is dissolved.
Remove from heat and let cool.
Stir in sour cream. Add flavoring.
Pour into pudding cups and refrigerate until set (about 3 hours).
You can use any vessel thats 1/2 cup or less. I use little ramekins, or French yogurt pots, or little Chinese tea cups, ...

When ready to serve, spoon on a berry coulis.

Berry Coulis

There is not specific recipe for berry coulis. You simply take your berries, wash and dry them, puree them, strain them, add a little bit of sugar to taste, and if not tart enough add a bit of lemon juice. If, for some reason the coulis seems a bit too thick, stir in a bit of water. You may also add a liquor of your choice if desired.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can buy swedish cream at New Seasons........Mike from Portland

Molly Loves Paris said...

Tempting ....

Heather said...

SCRUMPTIOUS! I have made this now three times at least, sharing it far and wide, making friends as I go because this is THAT GOOD!!!
This is very much like the Swedish cream the New Seasons sells from the company "Dessert Tray" in Portland, Oregon. The only difference is that they seem to use less gelatin as it is slightly looser than this recipe.
Yum, yum, yummy!