Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fruit Cocktail Pie

Another recipe from way back in the past. I think my mother used to make this, but I bet if I ask her she'll say "I don't know". But anyway, I think it is really yummy! Though perhaps a bit sweet for this day and age.

1 can of fruit cocktail, undrained
1 cup flour
1/2 - 1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg

topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and butter a pie plate.
Combine the non-topping ingredients and put the mixture into the buttered pie plate.
Mix the brown sugar and nuts and sprinkle on top.
Bake for about 40 minutes.
Cool.
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

note: if you drain the fruit cocktail and don't use the liquid you will have a much more cake like  product and you might want to put it into a cake pan or a bundt pan or a loaf pan.

1 comment:

Mary Jean said...

hi Molly... stumbled upon your blog while looking for people who like to bake and Paris! (just like me). I think ur blog is pretty cool and classic... i've added u to my link list :) and i'm most likely going to Paris for the first time next month!