Sunday, October 26, 2008

apple pie applesauce


I've been making applesauce each year for I don't know how long.  Where I live there are plenty of apples every fall.  Just about any kind you could want.  I always mix apples for my applesauce because they each have their own quality.  Now some apples I never use, like red or yellow delicious, or Rome apples.  It's not that I have anything against them, they just seem more like eating apples than cooking apples.  I have an absolute passion for a good yellow delicious with cheese, and they make a nice tart tatin also.  But anyway, I always include either gravenstiens, or newtons, or granny smiths.  The rest that I include are usually very red, because those add sweetness and color.

Obviously one doesn't need a real recipe for making applesauce, and it's all about taste.  But for what it's worth here's the ratio I used.

25 pounds of apples, about 5 pounds each of 5 different kinds, some green, some red
3 cups of white sugar
1 tbls Ceylon cinnamon, or whatever kind you have
5 cups of good nature apple cider

For the cooking and canning details on the recipe see my other blog here.

No comments: