Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Banana Tea Cakes


I now have pictures of this cake, and I made a double batch because of how fast the family ate it last time. note: this is still a recipe for two little cakes. 

7 ounces flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
a grating nutmeg
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
little bit of rum and/or whiskey,
at least a tablespoon or two
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt or buttermilk,
or any combination thereof
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup dried fruit (I used sultanas, currents, and cherries)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and paper two 5 1/5 inch x 2 inch cake pans.
Combine the flour, soda, salt, and nutmeg.
Cream the butter and sugar.
Then mix in the egg, beating very thoroughly.
Mix in the extracts and alcohol.
Mash the bananas in a small bowl and mix into the creamed mixture.
Add the sour cream or yogurt or buttermilk (or any combination there of) to the creamed mixture and stir well.
Mix in the dry ingredients.
Stir in the nuts and dried fruit.
Pour into the pans and bake until done, this was maybe 50 minutes.
Note: If you want to use a single pan use an 8 inch x 2 1/2 inch pan.
Or put the batter into a normal sized bundt pan.
Just cook it until it's done, having a tooth pick come out clean.

2 comments:

Superyalda said...

Loved the way the recipe sounded and the picture looked. They're in the oven now. Doubled the recipe, later to find out I had only 3 bananas so I reduced the dry ingredients a bit. Put walnuts and golden raisins, run and vanilla since I didn't have almond extract. So far they look great and the "finger lick on the bowl" test was yummy
I'm going to try a new method of checking doneness ... 200F on my probe thermometer ( but I'll back it up with a toothpick). Thanks for the recipe!

Superyalda said...

Well, feedback on this recipe, with the small changes I made, were fantastic! It came out moist and flavorful!