Wednesday, May 7, 2008

German Bangers and Mash


I first was introduced to this meal by my German husband. (Just for the record, I have not been married to him for over 30 years now.) So the German influence on this dinner is probably very obvious. It's like the British dinner, but it's just up a notch.





1 - 2 sausages per person
1 potato per person
frozen corn for how many people you have
sauerkraut
mustards - a variety of authentic mustards is nice

Turn the oven to 350 degrees.
Line a baking dish with foil and put the sausages into it and put into the oven.
Peel the potatoes, cut them up, add salt, and boil until just cooked.
Check on the sausages from time to time, turning as needed. They will take a while to get all cooked. Of course it all depends on the sausages that you have chosen.
When the potatoes are done, drain them and put it butter, hot milk, and salt and pepper and smash with a potato smasher. I know that people all differ on how they like their mashed potatoes. I like mine well smashed, but not turned into a thick smooth soupy consistency. You want some substance there. Keep warm - a warming cupboard works well here.

When the potatoes and sausages are done, heat the corn in the microwave and top it with a nice big dab of butter
I like the sauerkraut cold, but I suppose one could heat it.

Enjoy! - I'm hungry already

No comments: